Bring your family

If you're coming to Western Australia with your family, child or partner, there are some additional things you need to think about.


Your partner can be your husband, wife, fianc√©, boyfriend or girlfriend. If your partner is accompanying you to Western Australia, he or she will also need a visa. There are different types of visas available to partners depending on what they plan to do during their stay. 

You should check the visa options with the Department of Immigration and Citizenship

If you have a student visa and your partner is not studying, they may be able to work for up to 20 hours per week. You can find out more about working part-time here.

Some libraries and community centres hold English conversation classes for adults. Your partner might wish to attend one or more of these while in Western Australia.


Children between 5 and 18 years old on a dependant visa must attend school full-time. For more information about the school system, see the Schooling page on this site. To enrol your child in a Western Australian school, contact the school directly. Each school has its own enrolment requirements and fees.

For children under five years old, there are childcare (day care) centres and playgroups.

Childcare centres

Many childcare centres have waiting lists, so arrange a place well in advance and find out the costs involved. You can choose to take your child to childcare every day of the working week, or on certain days only. Your child can spend part of the day or a full day in child care. Each centre employs qualified staff to look after the children.


There are also playgroups for parents and their babies and children of up to five years of age. A playgroup is a great place for your child to make friends and for you to meet other parents and practise your English in a relaxed environment. You can learn more about different types of playgroups available or find a playgroup in a particular area of Perth through Playgroup WA.

Legal obligations

As a parent, you should be aware of the legal obligations of raising a child in Australia:

You must make sure that your child is looked after properly. That means providing:

  • food
  • clothes
  • supervision
  • an adequate and safe environment.

Failing to provide these can be a criminal offence.

In Australia, the wellbeing of children is protected by law. Violence, neglect and any type of physical, sexual or emotional abuse are considered as punishable offences. Using physical force to discipline a child isn't common and is not considered acceptable in public. Causing harm to a child through physical discipline is against the law. Australian schools don't use any forms of physical punishment.

Last modified: 7/02/2014 10:41 AM