Pathway courses

If you need help meeting university entry requirements or you'd like to improve your English before starting your degree, you may want to consider

  • a foundation course which usually takes one academic year to complete
  • a bridging course which is shorter and can often be completed during the summer break (between November and February).

Foundation and bridging courses are designed to provide international students with a pathway to higher education. They are structured to give you the support you need to achieve success in your undergraduate studies. You'll learn common terminology used at university and experience university-style teaching such as lectures and tutorials. Students who undertake these courses tend to get better results during their first year at university than those who don't.

Foundation and bridging programmes

Depending on your academic goals and university entry requirements, you can choose:

  • a general preparatory program
  • a program designed to help you get access to a particular undergraduate course.

Some education providers are affiliated with specific universities. Often, you're guaranteed entry into university once you've successfully completed a foundation or bridging course. Others offer you the opportunity to choose your university.

Last modified: 7/02/2014 9:55 AM