Help to Resolve Problems

All education providers in Western Australia provide support services to international students and have procedures for resolving student complaints.

However, if you have a problem with your institution and need help, you can get assistance from the Department of Education Services.

The International Education Conciliator Service is a free and independent service for international students provided by the Western Australian Department of Education Services.

If you’re having difficulties with your institution, the International Education Conciliator will work with you and your institution to help find an appropriate solution.

Before the Conciliator takes any action on your behalf, you should try to resolve the issue with your education provider first.

If you are unable to resolve your problem you should make an appointment with the Conciliator - the contact details are:

International Education Conciliation Service
Telephone: (08) 9441 1900
Facsimile: (08) 9441 1901

For a copy of the flyer, please click here.


Discrimination and harassment

Have you experienced racial abuse?

It’s unlawful to vilify or treat a person unfairly because of their race.
If you’re an international student studying in Western Australia and have been involved in an incident that you would regard as harassment, bullying or racially motivated, you’re encouraged to report it to your educational institution and the Western Australian Police.

You can contact the Western Australian Police Assistance Centre on 131 444.

Do you think you have been discriminated against?

Discrimination on the basis of race or religious conviction is prohibited under the Western Australian Equal Opportunity Act, 1984. The Act makes it unlawful to discriminate against people on the grounds of sex, marital status or pregnancy, family responsibility or family status, race, religious or political conviction, impairment, age or gender history in the areas of:

  • Work
  • Accommodation
  • Provision of goods
  • Facilities and services
  • Access to places and vehicles
  • Land
  • Membership of clubs

If you feel you've have been discriminated against on any of the above grounds, you can lodge a complaint with the Commissioner for Equal Opportunity. The Commission will investigate and attempt to conciliate your complaint. If not resolved it may be referred for hearing to the State Administrative Tribunal.

You can contact the Equal Opportunity Commission on telephone 9216 3900 or visit their website at


Search for a course

Visit the Perth Education City website.