There are several accommodation options available to students studying in Western Australia.

Your accommodation can be arranged by your education provider before you arrive in Perth, or you may choose to organise it yourself once you get here.
Most institutions have an accommodation office that can give you information and assist you in finding a place to live.

Get more information and tips on finding accommodation here.

Campus accommodation

Campus accommodation is housing at your educational institution or near it.

All Western Australian universities and many colleges provide on-campus accommodation for students.

This can be a private or shared room in a residence with communal cooking, laundry and recreational facilities; or a self-contained unit with either private or shared cooking and laundry facilities. In some residences, some of your meals (e.g. breakfast) may be included in the cost of your accommodation.

The costs for campus accommodation are different, and depend on the type of housing and the level of service provided (e.g. meals, cleaning).

You can find details of campus accommodation at universities and some colleges here.



Homestay means living with a local family during your study.

If you choose homestay, your school or college will usually arrange this for you before you arrive in Perth.

Homestay arrangements can be different – you might have a private or shared room, some of your meals may be included and there could be other international students staying with your family.

Perth is a very multicultural place and a typical Australian family might have family members from different cultural backgrounds. A homestay family can be a family with children, a young or elderly couple, or a single person.

Most families provide Australian style food (e.g. toast and cereal with milk for breakfast), which may be different to what you eat at home.

Your education provider will try to find you a homestay as close to campus as possible, but because Perth is so spread out, it’s normal to have to take a bus and/or train to get to your campus.

To make the most of your homestay experience, find out more information here.

Youth and backpackers’ hostels

If you would prefer to stay at a youth or backpackers’ hostel while you study in Perth, you can explore your options and book accommodation at these websites:

Beatty Lodge
Townsend Lodge
YHA 300 Wellington St Perth Email:

Renting or sharing accommodation

Renting a flat or a house, or sharing with other students is another accommodation option.

You can find places to rent through the newspaper, on the internet, at suburban real estate agents' offices and sometimes on notice boards at your university or college.

There are places with and without furniture available to rent. The cost of rent depends on the area and how close it is to the city centre or to the beach, the size (number of bedrooms) and whether it’s furnished.

Before you move in, you’ll need to pay a bond, which is usually returned to you when you move out. Make sure you get an official receipt when you pay the bond. The bond generally cannot be more than four weeks’ rent. However there are some exceptions. For more detailed information about Bonds visit the Consumer Protection website.

As well as your rent expenses, there will be additional costs for electricity, water and gas. Moving into a share-house with other students and sharing the expenses can be a more economical option.

When you’re looking for rental accommodation, you should be careful, use your judgment and talk to your institution’s accommodation adviser.


For more information on Living in Western Australia

Visit the Perth Education City website.