Where to go for help

The Study in Western Australia website aims to give you comprehensive information and answer your questions about studying and living here.

For legal advice and assistance
In an emergency
Help from your home country

Everyday living

Explore the list below to learn more about everyday living in Western Australia:

Studying in Western Australia

Find out more about the Western Australian study experience by browsing through the following topics:

For legal advice and assistance

The Western Australian government and local community organisations are committed to providing necessary legal support to international students facing legal issues.

Legal Aid Commission of Western Australia

The Legal Aid Commission of Western Australia can provide a range of legal services depending on your circumstances:

  • Information services
    Available online, over the phone, through community legal education, and via a range of publications and kits.
  • Legal advice
    Duty lawyers are available to provide advice face-to-face, by phone or by video conference if you’re in a remote area.
  • Minor assistance
    Solicitors and paralegal advisors can help you negotiate, write letters, draft documents or prepare to represent yourself in court.
  • Legal representation
    Legal representation is available through lawyers working for Legal Aid and private lawyers. To be eligible, your income and assets must be below a set level.

To find out more about legal assistance, visit the Legal Aid website or call 1300 650 579.

Sussex Street Community Law Service

The Sussex Street Community Law Service is a non-profit community legal centre that provides free advice and information to low-income earners and other disadvantaged members of the community.

Their legal services are available to people who are ineligible for legal aid and unable to afford the services of a private solicitor.

To be eligible, you must have a Healthcare Card or an annual income under $26,000.

To find out more, visit the Sussex Street Community Law Service website or call 6253 9500. If you’re calling from a country area of Western Australia, call 1800 642 791.

In an emergency

If there is a life-threatening or time-critical emergency, you should call:


Call this number for FIRE, POLICE and AMBULANCE attendance at any time of the day or night for 24-hour service. Calls to 000 are free.

In a disaster situation, call 132 500 for help. A disaster can be a fire, cyclone, storm, flood, road crash, hazardous material spill, earthquake or a tsunami. You should also use this number for search and rescue operations on land and water.

Other safety and support services include:

Safety and Security


Reporting a crime (Police)

131 444

Crime Stoppers Hotline

1800 333 000

National Security Hotline

1800 123 400



Health and Community Support


Health Direct - 24 Hour Health Advice line

1800 022 222

Mental Health Emergency Response Line

9224 8888


13 11 44

Beyond Blue (Depression/suicidal)

1300 224 636

Family Help Line

9223 1111

Parenting WA Line

6279 1288

NGALA Family Resource centre

9368 9368

Pregnancy Counseling

1300 737 732

Sexual Assault Centre

9340 1828

Alcohol and Drug Information

9442 5000

Poisons Information Centre

13 11 26



Other Services


Electrical faults (24-hour service)

13 13 51

Gas Faults (24-hour service)

13 13 52

Telephone Faults (Fixed home phone)

13 2203

Water or Sewerage Faults

13 1375

Help from your home country

The consulate representing your home country can provide help to you during your studies in Western Australia.

As the official representative of your country, your Consul works to protect your interests when you’re away from home.

To find the contact detail of your consulate in Western Australia, visit the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade website.

Chinese Consulate in Perth

Website: perth.china-consulate.org/eng/

Address: 45 Brown Street, East Perth, WA 6004, Australia

Tel: +61 8 9222 0333
Fax: +61 8 9221 6144

Email: Chinacon@iinet.net.au

Indian Consulate

Address: Level 6, 12 St Georges Terrace Perth, WA 6000

Tel: +61 8 9221 4205
Fax: +61 8 9221 7039

Email: cg.perth@mea.gov.in

Hours of Business: Monday - Friday 9.00 a.m. - 1.00 p.m, 2.00 p.m - 5.00 p.m.

Japanese Consulate

Address: U22/Level 2, 111 Colin St West Perth, WA 6005

Tel: +61 8 9480 1800
Fax: +61 8 9480 1801

Email: info@pt.mofa.go.jp

Hours of Business: Monday - Friday 9.00 a.m. - 1.00 p.m, 2.00 p.m - 5.00 p.m.
Postal Address: PO Box 1915 , West Perth WA 6872

Malaysian Consulate

Address: 252 Adelaide Terrace Perth WA 6000

Tel: +61 8 9225 7055
+61 8 9225 7099 (General)
+61 8 9225 7533 (Consular)

Email: malperth@kln.gov.my

Hours of Business: 8.30 a.m. - 4.30 p.m. Consular: Monday - Friday: 9.00 a.m. - 1.00 p.m.